Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Star Wars!

A bunch of coworkers and my friend Ivan and I all went out to see Star Wars together when it opened on Friday.

We saw it at a suitably sci-fi building--the Core Pacific City Living Mall. Rather an unwieldy name, I think. It isn't that there is a place called the Living Mall inside another place called Core Pacific City, but rather all five words are a single name for a single place. This is what it looks like:





The movie was everything I expected and not much to comment on. I was probably most interested in finding out why, when Darth Vader's head is shown at the end of Return of the Jedi, that it's all messed up. I had originally thought that he was extremely old, but infact he is just middle aged at that point. Episode three solved that for me.

My favorite scene was probably the openning shot which follows a pair of little fighter ships as they weave through a gigantic battlefield in space. It's hard for me to wrap my head around such a battle. It seems impossibly complex.

Before going to the movie, I was worried that I had forgotten everything I had seen in the other Star Wars movies and thus wouldn't appreciate all the loose-string-tying and whatnot so I found a website to help me reaquaint myself to the Star Wars universe. Check out the main page and the page on Star Wars history(which has been fleshed out alot more in "Expanded Universe" material, ie, comic books and cartoons).

Also this weekend, I went out with my girlfriend, Alfreda (pictured below) and saw a bunch of short animations made in Taiwan. They were shown as part of the Taiwan International Animation Festival in Taipei. Some of the animations were more visually interesting and surprising than Revenge of the Sith because they, much more like the first Star Wars film than the sequels, actually showed you something you had never seen before and couldn't expect.



Me and Alfreda!

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 25, 2005, Blogger Mister Ed T said...

Sounds like your are enjoying life in Taiwan. See you soon!

 
At Thursday, May 26, 2005, Blogger "Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Hi Jon! I am definately reading your posts, just not always replying. It is the same with all the blogs, including my own. It is so good to click in here and see you posting. I love you very much.

Hello to Alfreda, it is nice to meet you. It is a nice picture of the two of you. More pictures will be very welcome.

I'm glad you got to see Star Wars. I'm not sure if I want to see it or not. I hear so many different things about it. I'm sure I will go to it. I went to all the "Lord Of The Ring" movies, even tho I didn't like the gore. I hated to be called "wimpy"

 
At Monday, May 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Johnathan:
Nice to see you again!!!I am Tina, but not the one still in Huaxing.It is fun to watch Star Wars? I hope it is, because I am going to watch it too.
However, it is really nice to see you again on internet.See you soon!

 
At Friday, June 03, 2005, Blogger "Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

What is your time frame Jon? For when you arrive out of that awsome country you are in at the moment? I got a call from your one and only bro, just wondering about your time frames. Love you much!!

 
At Monday, June 06, 2005, Blogger Eagle-eye Di said...

Nice to meet your girlfriend.The two of you look good togeather.Annette,Earl and Dan went to see the movie on Memorial Day leaving Grandma to babysit the four girls.After they got back here I had the barbecue grill ready to grill the chicken breasts and burgers.I put Earl to work on those while I finished preparing inside.Had a nice Memorial weekend this year with the weather being beautiful.Its been a few years since the weather has been so nice.

 
At Saturday, June 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jon...
I'm out following some blog links and here you are... Just sayin' hello.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home