Thursday, May 19, 2005

Another Item of Interlingual Interest

I came across an interesting anecdote on a blog I check from time to time-- http://litserial.blogchina.com/ --which I reproduce here. But first a preview: what English phrase do you think the Chinese sounds ai-ze-ren-de might sound like?

爱责仁德 = 投降?

I PICKED UP an old collection of Cordwainer Smith stories (The Best of Cordwainer Smith) the other day, and ran across the following anecdote in the forward, by J.J. Pierce:

While in Korea, Linebarger masterminded the surrender of thousands of Chinese troops who considered it shameful to give up their arms. He drafted leaflets explaining how the soldiers could surrender by shouting the Chinese words for 'love,' 'duty,' 'humanity,' and 'virtue'--words that happened, when pronounced in that order, to sound like 'I surrender' in English. He considered this act to be the single most worthwhile thing he had done in his life.

Linebarger here is Paul Linebarger, the real name of Cordwainer Smith. The Chinese words mentioned are probably 爱责仁德, pronounced "ài zé rén dé," a fair approximation of the English.

2 Comments:

At Monday, May 23, 2005, Blogger SUZIE Q said...

Now you know Jon, some of us bloggers ain't nearly as intellectual as you

 
At Sunday, May 29, 2005, Blogger Montana Sherry C said...

Jon, that's cool! I love stuff like this. My got my college degree in Intercultural Studies and always had a particular interest in linguistics. Give us more cool "interlingual interest" items.

Your Montana cousin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home