Monday, May 02, 2005

Pest Control

Working late in the office, I was being pestered by three dumb fluttering bugs that must have been taking shelter inside from the rain. My insecticidal impulse was rising as they flapped and flopped about, throwing themselves against the floor, walls, and desks repeatedly. But then a gecko appeared in the middle of the floor, calm and cool. It basically waited there, while one by one, the fluttery bugs, in their haphazard, careening manner flew right next to it. It snapped them up nicely without much apparent effort. A fun little show for me--the gecko swallowing them down, at one time having two sets of wings protruding out of its mouth, and its little belly making some sort of digestive pumping action.

Just now another bug has appeared and the gecko, not content with his meal of three, is in chase.

I guess I should close the outer door before the gecko gets full, otherwise in the morning the office might be littered with the unconsumed carcasses of these short-lived bugs.

Speaking of tomorrow, I'll be going to the police station for the last step in the process of getting my Alien Resident Certificate. After being in Taiwan for over a year, I'm finally a legal working resident.

Everything is hunky dory. My only concern is shutting the bugs out without shutting the gecko in...

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jon...nice to see you here...I'll check in now and then to see what's new.
Aunt Jeannie

 
At Tuesday, May 03, 2005, Blogger Jon said...

Thanks Jeannie! Nice to hear from you!

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2005, Blogger Mister Ed T said...

Hey Jon, welcome aboard! Great to see your face, even if not in person.

 
At Wednesday, May 04, 2005, Blogger "Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

This is so cool!!!!! Hi Jon, loved your story about the bugs and getco. Is it your "pet" getco? Did he get too full and leave all the bug carcasses behind?? (for you to trip on??) hee hee

 
At Thursday, May 05, 2005, Blogger Eagle-eye Di said...

Yuk bugs.What creature is this gecho your talking about that devoured the bugs? It doesn't sound like it was too pleasent sitting and watching the whole process.Love ya and am also glad to see you in here.

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005, Blogger "Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

We need a picture of your cute little getco!

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005, Blogger Jon said...

Not my pet actually. Just a common little lizard in my area. They're cute and quick little things. This one just snuck into our office. Sometimes a student will catch one and play with it, but they are pretty fast and probably hard to catch.

Most of the animals around here are non-disgusting and interesting to me. I'll try to take some pictures of the common species I see. -The frogs that get squashed on my road, the foot-long earthworms, the big snails, the caterpillar-like things, the annoying short-lived flying things, the big and fast but harmless spiders.

The only ones that bother me are the mosquitos and the roaches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home